The 10th Annual Surfing Doctors Conference will take place on the 10th- 15th June 2018, in the Plenkung Reserve, South East Java, Indonesia (G-Land).
This is the initial schedule, but this could change at any stage, so be in touch if you’re serious about attending the conference.
Day 1, June 9thh
Candidates fly to Bali from overseas destination, prepare for early morning speed-boat departure the following day.
Day 2, June 10th
-Speedboat departs 0500am, to arrive at Plenkung Reserve at 11:30am
-13:00 – 17:00 Sign in attendance registry, acclimatisation and accommodation, familiarisation with nature reserve and local population.
-1700 – 2000pm Conference introduction, future goals and directions
-2000 – 2200pm Welcome ceremony to all delegates
Day 3, June 11th
- Common surfing musoskeletal injuries Dr Nick Maister
- Dealing with hysteria Dr Phil Chapman
- Infectious diseases of the tropics and Malaria Dr Wendy Henderson
- Drowning reviews, cases and perpspective: Dr Scott Stirling
- Marine envenomations: Dr Dennis Millard
- Blunt trauma in remote surfing zones Dr Anthony Brown
- Point of care ultrasound in the remote setting- Dr. Scott Stirling
- Orthopaedic injuries Dr Simon Campbel
- Eye injuries: Dr Simon Nothling
Day 4, June 12th
- 0900 – 1700pm Advanced Surfing Life Support Course
- Poisons of the tropics Dr Phil Chapman
- Toxins, drugs and alcohol Dr Phil Chapman
- Antibiotic use in the tropics: guidelines review Dr Anthony Brown
- When to evacuate +Remote medical retrieval Dr Dennis Millard
- Travelers insurance and pitfalls Dr Dennis Millard
- Dealing with local governments Dr Mike Frood
- ALS algorithm: a evidence based review Dr Wendy Henderson
- Psychiatric care and emergencies in remote settings-Dr. Dave Hatley
- MCQ and practical exam
Day 5, June 13th
- 0900 – 1100: Medico-legal aspects of volunteer work Dr Dennis Millard
- 1200 – 1400: Dealing with the media Dr Mike Frood
- 1400 – 1500: Looking after yourself as the remote medical doctor, physically and mentally Dr Dennis Millard
- 1500-1700: Airway panel: expert case reviews and perspectives
Dr Scott Stirling, Dr. Phil Chapman,Dr Chris Mcguire Dr. Dennis Millard
Day 6, June 14th
- 0900 – 1100: Current Surfing-doctors NGO projects Dr Wendy Henderson
- 1200 – 1400: An EU perspective on surfing medicine Dr Alex Turner
- 1500 – 1700: Fundraising and financial aspects Dr Nick Maister
- 1800 – 2300: Closing Ceremony
Day 7- June 15th
- 0800 – 1130am: Speedboat journey back to Bali
- 1400 – 1800: visit Bali International Medical Centre retrieval service for ‘An Indonesian perspective’ on medical retrieval.
Day 8, June 16th
Travel back to home-country via own means.