BEFORE YOU GO:
- Get a decent travel insurance policy covering the full duration of your trip, and make sure it SPECIFICALLY includes surfing.
- Find out if you need any additional immunisations – your GP or travel clinic can help you with this.
- If you haven’t been to the dentist in a while, have a check up before you go.
- If you suffer from any chronic illnesses or allergies, make sure you have got some information on them with you, and have got enough of your prescription drugs to last the trip.
OTHER USEFUL KIT TO TAKE:
It might seem like a hassle to take this with you – but it could prevent a trip being cut short.
- Basic first aid kit – with antiseptics and basic dressings for cuts.
- High SPF sunblock
- For remote areas – more advanced kit: consider carrying sterile needles and syringes, rehydration salts, antibiotics
- In malarial areas, take measures against being bitten – long sleeves and shirts at and after sunset, repellent cream / spray / mosquito nets, and anti-malarial prophylaxis as advised by your doctor
- Check if the local water is drinkable – if you’re not sure, stick to bottled water